The information on this page is for families of students enrolled at The Geneva School for the 2017–2018 school year.
SUMMER OFFICE HOURS: The school office will be open every weekday except July 4, from 9:00 am–3:00 pm.
DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- August 7–9: Senior Boot Camp at San Pedro Center, Winter Park. 4:00 pm on Monday through 12:00 pm on Wednesday. See further down the page for more information.
- Monday, August 14, 9:30–11:00 am: ECC Meet-the-Teacher (K4–1st grade) with an informational expo in the central room of the main building
- Monday, August 14, 1:30–3:00 pm: 2nd–6th grade Meet-the-Teacher at the main campus with an informational expo in the gym
- Tuesday, August 15: First day of school for all students, K4–12th grade
- August 15 & 16: Dialectic dynamics for all 7th & 8th grade students
- August 16–18: Rhetoric retreat for students in grades 9–12.
- Thursday, August 17, 7:00–8:00 pm: Open House for all ECC parents
- Saturday, August 19: Back-to-School Skate Night. A fun night at Semoran Skateway for all the family. $6 for all skaters. 5:00–7:00 pm.
- Tuesday, August 22, 7:00–9:00 pm: Open House for all 7th – 12th grade parents
- Tuesday, August 22, 9:00–9:30 pm: North Florida trip meeting for 7th grade parents
- Wednesday, August 23, 8:30–10:30 am: New Moms Coffee. A gathering for new moms at the San Pedro Center – about 1.5 miles from the ECC and 3 miles from the main campus. Come as you are after dropping off your children.
- Thursday, August 24, 7:00–8:45 pm: Open House for all 2nd – 6th grade parents
- Thursday, September 14, 7:00–8:30 pm: Math in Focus Parent Fundamentals Workshop for parents of 2nd–6th grade students
- Thursday, September 21, 6:30 pm : New Parents Dinner at the Winter Park Farmers’ Market. A dinner for all the new families to TGS. Come and be encouraged, and meet the administration, some board members, and other new families.
- Friday, September 29: SALT … A Geneva Serveathon. The entire Geneva community will participate in numerous community service projects and raise much needed funds for the school.
- Saturday, November 11: Annual TGS Fall Festival at the main campus
- Monday, November 20: Grandparents Day for 2nd – 6th grade at the main campus, 9:00 – 11:00 am
- Tuesday, November 21: Grandparents Day for K4 – 1st grade at the early childhood campus (K4 9:00 – 10:30 am, K 10:30 am – 12:00 pm, 1st grade 1:00 – 2:30 pm)
Please check the calendar for other important dates through the year.
SCHEDULE FOR STUDENTS AT THE EARLY CHILDHOOD CAMPUS
K4–1st grade students do not begin full days at school until August 28, 2017.
- K4: 8:30 am–12:30 pm prior to August 28. 8:30 am–1:30 pm for the remainder of the year.
- Kindergarten: 8:30 am–1:00 pm prior to August 28. 8:30 am–2:30 pm for the remainder of the year.
- First Grade: 8:15–2:00 pm prior to August 28. 8:15 am–2:45 pm for the remainder of the year.
SUMMER READING LISTS
The Geneva School yearns to see good readers, and reading well requires direction, discipline, and diligence. For nearly ten months, our teachers strive toward teaching mechanics and comprehension, analysis and appreciation. They assign books to read, questions to answer, and ideas to ponder. Reading for understanding begins with the necessity of hard work, but the rewards pay dividends in growing the imagination and inspiring the mind.
Reading lists can be found on the SUMMER READING pages. Rising 1st–6th grade students are encouraged to choose books off their suggested reading lists. The 7th–12th grade reading lists outline required reading in addition to other suggested reading.
STUDENT CLASSROOM SUPPLIES
Parents of students in grades K4–8 can choose to either pre-order supplies from the school via the Prepackages School Supply Program or purchase supplies themselves.
All the students class supplies information, including the order form for PSSP can be found on the STUDENT SUPPLIES (2017-2018) page.
All uniforms should be purchased from Lands’ End.
It is very helpful to be familiar with the uniform requirements before ordering. All the information about uniform requirements and can be found on the UNIFORM GUIDELINES page.
Used Uniforms: The school has a selection of used uniforms for sale at a significant reduction. Come by the school anytime after Memorial Day during regular business hours if you are interested. If you would like to donate gently used (and clean) uniforms, they can be dropped off at the front desk.
2017–2018 OVER NIGHT TRIPS
Senior Boot Camp: August 7–9 at the San Pedro Center in Winter Park. Director of College Counseling Scott Thigpen, along with others from the Student Services department and the admin team, will lead the students through these three days tackling the college application process, vision casting, upper school team plan, dialectic dynamics planning, the yearly calendar plan, and Christ-centered leadership training. The cost is $85/student and includes lodging and meals. Mr. Thigpen will also be in touch with rising seniors and their parents over the summer. More info can be found here.
Rhetoric Retreat: All Geneva School rhetoric students, along with a team of rhetoric faculty and admin, will begin the 2017–2018 school year by spending a few days together at Southwind Younglife Camp in Ocklawaha, FL. The dates for the trip are August 16–18, 2017. More information can be found here.
Other trips planned are:
- Fifth Grade trip to Williamsburg: April 23–28, 2018
- Sixth Grade trip to Washington DC: May 8–11, 2018
- Seventh Grade North Florida Trip: October 23–27, 2017
- Eighth Grade trip to Boston: May 8–11, 2018
- Ninth Grade Trip to the Florida Everglades: February 26–March 2, 2018
- Senior Trip: May 18–23, 2018 – destination TBD
Check out the Athletics section of the website to see what is in store for your children in the way of athletics for next year. Please watch your email inboxes over the summer for announcements about schedules and tryouts for fall sports.
Grammar School Fall Sports
- Soccer for K4–6th grade boys and girls (competitive)
- Volleyball for 5th–6th grade girls (competitive)
Upper School Fall Sports
- Girls Volleyball (7/8, JV, varsity)
- Boys Golf (JV and varsity)
- Girls Golf (JV and varsity)
- Boys Cross Country (MS, JV & varsity)
- Girls Cross Country (MS, JV & varsity)
- Co-ed MS Soccer (6th–8th grade boys and girls)
Note for 6th grade athletes: Students in 6th grade may participate in 5/6 grade volleyball, JV golf, MS cross country, 5/6 grade soccer, or MS co-ed soccer.
Required FHSAA Forms for all 6th–12th Grade Athletes: All 6th – 12th grade students participating in middle school, JV, or varsity athletics must have a number of forms on file in the athletic office before they are permitted to take part in practices or games. One of these forms is the FHSAA Pre-Participation Physical Examination form. This requires a physical exam by a doctor. See your regular doctor or plan on coming to the TGS clinic on Saturday, July 30, from 9:00 am–12:00 pm. For more information about the required forms, please go to ATHLETIC FORMS.
Sports Physical Clinic for 6th–12th Grade Student Athletes
- Date: Date TBD, 9:00 am-12:00 pm at TGS
- Dr. Jay Alilin (family practice physician and Geneva parent) and his brother Dr. Ben Alilin will do the exams.
- $25 Cash or check to Alilin Family Medicine, LLC
- All proceeds benefit TGS Athletics!
- No appointments, first come-first served
- FHSAA sport physical forms and consent forms provided
- Questions? Contact Lou Jones, School Nurse
Please note – younger students do not need these FHSAA forms to participate in youth sports
If your student requires daily medication while at school, needs an inhaler for asthma, or is prescribed an EpiPen for severe allergies, please refer to the Medical Information pages for further information.
If you have a child entering K4, kindergarten, or 7th grade student, Florida state law has certain age-specific immunization requirements for children attending school that you need to be aware of:
- K4: 4 doses DTap (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis), 4 doses polio, 1 dose MMR (mumps, measles, rubella), 3 doses hepatitis B, 1 dose varicella (chicken pox)
- Kindergarten: Additional MMR booster, additional varicella booster
- 7th Grade: Tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis booster (Tdap or Adecal)
For new families to Geneva, please check the Information for New Families. This page has information important for the health and safety of your child from our school nurse Lou Jones.
GRAMMAR SCHOOL CLASS LISTS AND DIALECTIC/RHETORIC SCHEDULES
Grammar school class assignments and dialectic and rhetoric class schedules are completed the first week of August and communicated to parents/students.