EpiPen/Asthma Information

Students Requiring an EpiPen at School for Severe Allergies

An EpiPen is a prescription medication used to treat severe allergic reactions and requires special authorization to administer at school.  Our school policy regarding EpiPen administration is for the students’ safety and mandated by state law.  It is required to have on record an order signed by you and your child’s physician for any prescription medication, including EpiPens, to be given at school.  This order must be renewed each school year. The Authorization for Emergency Medication for Severe Allergic Reaction Form form acts as both the physician order and the emergency plan our staff will follow in the event your child has an allergic reaction at school.

Each child has different allergy triggers and may present with a unique pattern of symptoms.  Some physicians want an EpiPen administered at the first sign of an allergic reaction; some prefer to administer antihistamines and/or inhalers first with mild symptoms of an allergic reaction and use the EpiPen only if symptoms progress after these have been given.  Please consult with your physician and ask him/her to carefully fill out and sign this authorization to reflect the individual needs of your student and your desires in responding to an emergency situation.

It is necessary for all medication on your emergency plan, including any antihistamine and inhaler, to be supplied by you in its original container.  According to school policy, you must supply two sets of all medications on your emergency plan to the school:  one set for the classroom and one set to be kept in the nurse’s clinic.  These medications should be available on the first day of school.  The school nurse will need to meet with you the week before school starts to go over the authorization form for completeness, to check expiration dates on medications and to allow you to communicate any concerns you may have.

Students Requiring Asthma Medication at School

Asthma inhalers and nebulizer treatment vials are considered prescription medication.  State law requires the school to have a physician’s order for any prescription medication taken at school, including self-administered asthma inhalers and nebulizer medications.  The order must be renewed each school year.

If your child carries an inhaler at school, keeps an inhaler in the school clinic, or requires nebulizer treatments at school an Authorization for Asthma Medication at School Form form must be filled out and signed by you and your physician.  It includes other information to let us know your child’s asthma triggers and routine medications he/she is taking for asthma control.  Students may carry their inhaler in their backpack if they are able to self-administer effectively, or inhalers may be kept in the clinic to use under supervision.  If your child requires nebulizer medication, you must also provide a nebulizer machine to keep in the clinic.  The school nurse will need to meet with you to discuss your child’s special needs.