Percussio Orff Ensemble (3rd–6th)
What is an Orff ensemble? An Orff ensemble is an instrumental music group. Students play our beautiful xylophones and hand percussion instruments while combining speech, movement, and song. In Percussio, children learn eye-hand coordination, listening skills, and musical concepts while having fun!
In each rehearsal, children use teamwork, creativity, and critical thinking to focus on learning music that honors our Christian values. Students learn new repertoire, correct playing technique, and strategies to help them develop as a growing musician. Previous music reading experience is a plus, but not a requirement to join us.
Students in 3rd–6th grade are welcome! No auditions are required, but previous music experience (reading notes and rhythms) is highly encouraged. We can only accept a maximum of 17 students. You may join us for an entire school year or just one semester if we have not reached our full capacity.
Percussio is directed by Mrs. Barbara Mansfield and meets each Thursday from 3:30–4:30 pm in a lower school music room. The ensemble will be featured in Lessons and Carols (December 20, 2023), and the Lower School Spring Concert (May 8, 2024).
Dates and Fees
- Rehearsals: Thursdays, 3:30–4:30 pm, August 31–December 14 (no rehearsal 9/14, 10/12, 11/23)
- Extra Rehearsal: Monday, December 18, 3:30–4:30 pm
- Lessons and Carols Rehearsal: Tuesday, December 19, during the school day
- Lessons and Carols: Wednesday, December 20, 2023, at 6:30 pm
- Rehearsals: Thursdays, 3:30–4:30 pm, January 18–May 2 (no rehearsal 3/14)
- Lower School Spring Concert Rehearsal: Tuesday, May 7, during the school day
- Lower School Spring Concert: Wednesday, May 8, 2024, at 8:25 am
- The fee for Percussio is $150 per semester and $250 for the year. This covers staffing, music, a T-shirt, and materials. While it is not required, it is hoped that students will commit to the full school year. If available spots are open in the spring, new students are welcome to register for the second semester.
- Please check athletic practice/game schedules. While we love having well-rounded student athletes and musicians, we are counting on each musician to attend rehearsals for the entire semester.
- If your student is excited about being part of Percussio but the current fee is not feasible at this time, please email Barbara Mansfield. Do not let cost be a deterrent for music-making! You can send her a message using the form at the bottom of this page.
Have Questions or Comments?
Please submit the following form and someone will be in touch very soon.