Rhetoric students at The Geneva School begin the school year by packing their swimsuits, gym clothes, and sleeping bags for one last bit of summer fun at Southwind YoungLife Camp in Ocklawaha, Florida. The retreat is a lot of fun for the students and TGS faculty and staff who accompany them, while also accomplishing some very important goals. The retreat is designed to encourage old and new friendships, foster Christ-centered community, and prepare the students for a great school year. These are accomplished through free time, family-style meals, multi-grade house competitions, and challenging and thought-provoking messages.
Activities at the rhetoric retreat include Wiffle ball, Frisbee golf, swimming and going down a giant water slide, volleyball, basketball, ping-pong, air hockey, foosball, canoeing, and more. Students do NOT need to bring sports equipment. Because of the goals of the retreat, there is some structure, but it is not an “academic” camp experience. Rather, the focus is relational. Students enjoy a few plenary sessions and also a significant amount of recreational time with the chaperoning teachers and staff.
- Dates: August 23–25, 2023
- Trip Leaders: Upper School Administration
- Cost: $185. The full amount will be added to FACTS and billed in August.
- Chaperones: Rhetoric faculty and staff
- Students should report to school on August 23 at the regular time packed and ready to go (see packing list below)
- Students and chaperones will travel by bus to the retreat and back. Students will return to school on Friday afternoon before carpool time.
Please click HERE to submit the Rhetoric Retreat intent form.
This form must be submitted by June 30.
Please click HERE to view and download the packing list.
Please click HERE to submit the Rhetoric Retreat medical form.
This form will open on July 20 and must be submitted by August 4.